Advice & Guidance
The following are definitions of Advice and Guidance
Advice – this involves:
• Helping a service user to understand and interpret information;
• Providing information and answers to questions and clarifying misunderstandings;
• Advising on options or how to follow a given course of action;
• Identifying needs – signposting and referring users who may need more in-depth guidance and support
Guidance – aims to help users to:
• Better understand themselves and their needs;
• Confront barriers to understanding, learning and progression;
• Resolve issues and conflicts;
• Develop new perspectives and solutions to problems;
• Be able to better manage their lives and achieve their potential
Our specialist Progression Advisers are trained to provide independent advice and guidance for applicants and current students. The team can help provide you with advice regarding a range of information and advice regarding courses training. You can build an understanding of the qualification and training requirements for various careers and the entry requirements for courses you are interested in.
Careers Guidance interviews are confidential and impartial and can help you plan your route to your next step whether that is choosing a college course or training programme. This is offered for anyone who is considering applying to the college and for existing students who are considering their ongoing development.
Interviews may cover:
- Understanding careers information and employment opportunities
- Considering your prior qualification achievements and understanding the range of courses open to you
- Career Planning
- Pre-course Guidance
- Help with CVs
- UCAS applications
- Job Applications
- Planning progression to further learning, higher education or training
The team can also help link you with other teams in the college if you have a welfare issue, learning support need or require advice on financial support. This may include links to staff to assist with:
- Support for learners with disabilities or learning support needs
- One-to-one Mentoring
- Advice on health issues
- Financial Assistance
The team have a strong commitment to ensuring students achieve their personal and career aspirations and will work closely with you towards achieving your successes. Prospective students are encouraged to make an appointment with one of our dedicated Careers Advisors, who will support you in making the best possible choice for you based on your individual needs.
Our Careers Advisers are available:
Monday – Thursday 8.30am – 5.00pm and Friday 8.30am – 4.30pm or by appointment.
To arrange an appointment, please contact us on 01207 585 900.
We look forward to hearing from you.